Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Another 5K

As part of my motivational efforts to keep myself moving, I am trying to walk a 5K event once a month. In June there was the Parkinson's Wellness Chapter's fundraiser Steady Strides. In. July it was the Hyde Park Blast. In August the Association for the Blind did one in a lovely setting -- Spring Grove ( Cemetery and Arboretum) and in September the Sunflower Revolution was another Parkinson' event. My event for this month was the Warrior Run, which benefits the local teen suicide prevention program.

I had done the first four in 45 minutes or less, but after some recent forays back into the world of running, I decided to try running this one. Well, it may have easier with someone to run with, but I did it mostly. I ran almost 2 miles, slowed to a brisk walk at the water stop (for about 1/3 of a mile maybe), picked it up to a run again, walked about another two-tenths of a mile near the end and ran across the finish line. My time was around 34 minutes!

I don't know that I really want to engage in such high impact exercise, but the high intensity is good. And I wasn't even sore! Who wants  speed walk with me in November? 

1 comment:

  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete