Sunday, July 21, 2013

Building habits

I have heard it said that it takes three weeks to make or break a habit. Sometimes it takes even longer. When I was first diagnosed with Parkinson's, it was quite clear that I was not swinging my right arm normally. One of my first tasks was to try to remember to swing my arm correctly (i.e. reciprocally) when walking. I remember that it did not feel natural. But I persisted, and one day, I suddenly realized that my arm was swinging without quite so much intention required. I am sure it had taken more than three weeks, but it had happened.

Not every malfunction of movement caused by PD can be remedied, but I am beginning to feel that if I work hard at it, many movements will get easier or become more natural. I still have to think BIG for almost every step I take if it is to be a good step. But I find myself SOMETIMES taking a pretty good step automatically.

Keep working on those habits!

1 comment:

  1. i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease herbal medicine from ultimate life clinic,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,reach them through there website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete