Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Neuroplasticity

Neuroplasticity..... Now there is a big word. Neuroplasticity is the fairly recently accepted finding that the brain can change. This has been seen in response to injury or damage where an undamaged section of the brain adapts to perform a function no longer possible from a damaged part. What this means for Parkinson's is that it is possible that some of the function lost due to the death of dopamine neurons can be recovered if the brain can change to accommodate this loss. This is amazingly good news. How can this be accomplished? You guessed it.....exercise! Becky Farley's techniques are called "exercise for brain change." So every time I walk with BIG steps, I am helping my brain relearn that movement in a new way that can become permanent if I do it enough. Wow. Makes me want to get out there and exercise! How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment