Friday, June 7, 2013

Hiking helps

In addition to my very intentional hour of exercise each morning, I often have more exercising coming at me as the day progresses. Today it was hiking. My husband John and I hiked about 5 miles in the Pisgah National Forest on the Daniel Ridge Trail. We love to hike and it is great for me because I have to think about and be intentional about every step. We hiked on average more than once a week last year and are on target for the same this year.  It is great dynamic balance practice, especially if we gave to cross a stream on rocks! This was a beautiful trail up alongside a very rocky stream with lots of little falls. The end of the trail passed the knick point of the lovely Jackson Falls.

Morning exercise was mixed cardio for 45 minutes and stretching. I also did small motor (to be explained later).

2 comments:

  1. As I have followed your blog I have been reminded how wonderful hiking can be for all of us. It is hard to find a better low impact work out that requires you to use your core and all those stabilizer muscles that just do not get much use on a smooth surface. Additionally, like a number of other great workouts, a hike is different every time. The scenery on Daniel Ridge Trail is hard to beat too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget how well you must know the hikes in Pisgah National Forest. We spend a lot of our North Carolina time there. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete