Friday, June 28, 2013

Training to the amplitude deficit

So I have explained that PWPs don't have a correct sense of the amplitude of their movements. So what is the treatment? BIG movements. Becky Farley, PWR! Moves guru, started her emphasis on big movements with the BIG program many years ago. This has morphed into her PWR! Program which has a similar but even more inclusive emphasis. The idea is that if a PWP takes what feel like deliberately large movements, such as giant steps or a huge arm reach, the movements will actually be of an acceptably normal amplitude, and that if this is practiced enough, it could begin to become automatic again. Farley suggests what she calls "whole body activation" exercises that force increased amplitude and thus promote good range of motion.

I try to think of big steps with every step I take, and certainly such awareness helps. But it is hard to concentrate that much, so some of my steps end up short. But I am working on it. I try to think of hiding the fact that I have PD, not because I am embarrassed or ashamed but because then I would have succeeded in making my movements big enough to appear "normal."

Did the gym twice this week like a good girl. And I did tai chi even though it remains very difficult. Persistence helps in living with this disease .... Or call it hard-headedness!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Elizabeth!

    Love the post...other then your BIG steps, how do you incorporate amplitude into your daily life??

    ReplyDelete