Sunday, June 23, 2013

The importance of care partners

Back from vacation, where I learned an important lesson. We were in Oregon doing some day hiking. My wonderful husband and care partner John had a bad cold which affected his appetite. He went on a strenuous hike on an empty stomach and drank some water, but not enough. Near the end of the hike he passed out (in my arms -- that was fun) and ended up being hospitalized for 24 hours. SO now I was the care partner, the worrier, the one whose plans were changed, who had to think about the other. It made me really appreciate what a considerate care partner John is. The term "care partner" is the one we prefer. John often says that at Parkinson's conferences, he feels out of place as the one who does not have PD. He feels that his role is more one of a partner -- WE have PD. I am so thankful for him.

I also learned that I cannot publish an entry in this blog from my iphone. Sorry. More soon . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment